If you discover an omission or error made on a tax return you have already filed, you may need to file an amended return. Here are some IRS tips for amending returns.

  • Use Form 1040X. You must file a paper amended return; this form cannot be e-filed.
  • File an amended return to correct errors or change your original filing.
  • Don’t file an amended return to correct math errors or to attach forms you forgot to attach originally. The IRS will mail a request for the forms and will automatically correct math errors.
  • You generally have three years from the original filing date to file an amended return.
  • If you are filing for multiple years, you must file a separate Form 1040X for each year.
  • If you are due a refund from your original filing, wait until you’ve received the original refund before you file Form 1040X for an additional refund.
  • If you owe more tax with Form 1040X, pay it as soon as possible to avoid added interest and penalties.
  • You can track the status of your filed Form 1040X with the IRS’s “Where’s My Amended Return?” tool at www.irs.gov

Related Posts